The only camp oven stew recipe you will ever need! Delicious, easy and cooks while you chat around the camp fire. Perfect!
- 1 kg diced beef
- Chopped/cubed veggies (as many as you like/will fit)
- 3 tbsp. arrowroot flour
- Oil for browning beef
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- Beef stock/bone broth (liquid or powder)
- 4 cups water (total including liquid from broth)
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 3 tsp. salt or Herbamere or to taste
- Cracked pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Onion powder to taste
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- Chop the veggies and put them into a bowl for later.
- Preheat the camp oven.
- Place the beef into a bowl, add 1 Tbsp. arrowroot flour and seasoning (including stock if it’s a powder) and stir to combine. Or place in a large ziplock bag and shake to combine.
- Place camp oven on hot coals and heat oil and then brown meat for a couple of minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add veggies to the camp oven and stir. Leave on hot coals.
- Pour in water (and stock if using liquid) and wine, leave the lid off and let simmer for 30mins. If bubbling too much, remove from the direct coals.
- After 30 mins check and top up the water if needed. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Cover and leave for a further 30mins. Sometimes we leave it on the coals, other times we set it aside as it’s already hot enough. Each time it’s different.
- Remove the camp oven from the heat, stir well and make sure everything is cooked to your liking.
- Add remaining arrowroot flour to a cup with a little water to make a slurry.
- Add to stew and stir to combine. Let it simmer until thickened.
- Optional: add some sour cream to serve
(Visited 394 times, 20 visits today)